Flawless skin is every woman’s dream. But how many of us can really take enough care to keep our skin healthy and evenly toned? After stressing out yourself at work for an entire week, weekends are the times when you like to party. Unfortunately, the stress starts showing on your face and friends start asking if you are not well or are undergoing some problems. Some women even start avoiding reunions, just because of those ugly patches or marks on their faces. But if you are beautiful from the inside, then why not do some positive experiments for your outer look?
How To Apply Foundation With A Brush
After years of trying out healthy foods and a scheduled life, I’ve realized that if your skin doesn’t transform into that of a diva, you must learn the art of applying make-up. Some people frown upon the idea of make-up. But I suggest that if you do it in the right amount and in the right way, then it enhances your look surprisingly.
Foundation is the base of any make-up routine and the key to hiding your skin flaws. So, ladies, let’s learn how to apply foundation with a brush.
What to do before applying make-up
- Wash your face with a good face-wash and pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Take a light moisturizer and apply it to your face.
- Apply a foundation primer on your face. You can use your hands or a foundation brush or a sponge.
- If you have any prominent marks or dark circles, apply a concealer using a special concealer brush, or you can even use an eye-shadow brush. Make sure that you do not just dab the concealer on the marks, rather blend it in thoroughly.
How to apply liquid foundation
- Take a little amount of foundation on a palette or on the back of your hand. Apply it step-by-step over your face with a foundation brush.
- The best way to apply foundation will be by using a tapered brush. It blends liquid and cream foundations better.
- Start application of the foundation from the center of the face, using outward motions, towards the edges. Short strokes will give a better look, after blending. But you can use longer strokes over the areas where less coverage is needed, like neck and forehead.
- Do not apply foundation over the eyebrows.
- Also, do not worry if the foundation is applied over your lips. This will actually help your lipstick to last longer.
- Take care that you also cover the groove-prone areas of your face, like the sides of the nose and around the lips, using the edge of your brush.
- At the end, you can use a damp sponge to blend the uneven patches of foundation on your face. A dry sponge will soak up your foundation, so always make sure that you use a damp sponge.
- After applying foundation, always use a translucent powder over your face. This will give a nice finish to your coverage and help it stay on longer.
Which foundation to use according to your skin tone
- Always use a foundation that is 1 or 2 shades lighter than your skin tone.
- The best place to test color is the jaw-line or just under the neck. Testing the foundation color on the back of your hand will not give a clear idea.
- Moreover, choose the type of foundation that is suitable for your skin type. There is a wide variety of products available for dry, oily and combination skin types.
- Go for heavier foundation, if you want it to be long lasting. But lighter foundation will do, if you do not need it for longer hours (meaning 6-7 hours or more).
- These days, even high definition foundations are quite popular. They are very appealing for videos and photographs.
Which are the right brushes to apply foundation
- If possible, choose synthetic-hair brushes over natural-hair brushes. Natural hair has the tendency to soak up make-up, an effect which is negligible in synthetic types. So using a synthetic-hair brush will save you a great deal on foundation expenses, if you are a regular user. Moreover, a synthetic-hair brush does not cause any kind of allergies, the way natural-hair brushes can.
- The best brush to use for applying liquid foundation will be a flat foundation brush. This looks like a paint-brush, a shape which makes it possible to blend your foundation easily.
- Moreover, you can use that same brush for contouring.
- You can also use a little, fluffier brush to apply foundation.
- Later, you can use a brush that is fluffier and more compact. This will give a fuller coverage.
Which foundation mistakes to avoid
- For testing the foundation color before buying, do not use your wrist. Testing under the eyes or on the cheekbones is a good practice. If you are not comfortable doing that, then you can test it over the jaw-line too.
- Always test the color of the foundation in natural light. Don’t buy it solely on the basis of artificial light.
- If you are not sure which product you want, avoid buying foundation online. An in-person testing is always preferable to a virtual one.
- Always choose foundation according to your skin type. The ones which don’t suit your skin will give you either a cakey or a rough look, spoiling the texture of your make-up.
- Moisturize your skin well, before applying foundation. For an oily skin, you can use a lighter moisturizer.
- Use the right brushes and spend a generous amount of time to blend your foundation. Uneven foundation will make you look like a clown.
- Also make it a point to apply the foundation on your neck in the same way as you do on your face.
- At the end of the day, use a good quality make-up remover and then hit the bed. However good quality your make-up is, not removing it before sleeping will damage your skin.
- Never use a foundation to conceal the flaws of your skin. Use concealer for this.
Use these given techniques, and after practicing a few times, you’ll learn the art of applying liquid foundation. Don’t be upset if you go wrong sometimes, even celebrities make blunders! Further, let’s learn a few more things that will make you look more graceful with make-up.
How to apply Blush and Bronzer
- First step will be to apply a bronzer. Always select a bronzer that is 1-2 shades darker than your own skin tone. This justifies the actual use of bronzer for a glamorous look.
- Applying the bronzer first will make your skin look natural.
- The best areas to apply bronzer will be places where sun can cause a tan, like the top portion of cheeks, bridge of the nose and forehead.
- Go for a bronzer with a matte finish. It gives a natural look. On the other hand, shimmery bronzers make your face look like a decorative lamp! You should use them only in stage performances or special photography sessions.
- After applying the bronzer, you can go for the blush.
- Look in the mirror and give yourself a wide smile. Do you see those two apples on your cheek? Apply the blush right over them, starting inwards and going outwards.
- For a more prominent look, you can apply the blush on the cheeks in circular motion and then blend outwards towards the temples. Be careful that no definite lines are seen.
- Always use blushers that suit your skin type. Most of the cosmetic companies have different shades for warm and cool skin tones. You can ask the sales person in the shop. They are well trained to assist you.
- If you want a shimmering look, you can use a shimmer blusher.
- If you use an angled brush to apply blush, it will enhance the effect.
- Start with applying very little and then add according to your need. Surely you don’t want to look like a gaudy goddess!
- If you feel that you have just overdone with the blush, apply a bit of translucent powder over it.
- To create a dramatic look, apply highlighter over the blush area and contour the area under it.
How to do eye make-up
- The days of monotonous eye shadow are gone. So you may need 3-4 shades to make your eyes more communicative.
- First step will be to apply a bit of highlighter on the inner edges of your eyelids and then blend it towards the center of the eyelids.
- You can also apply a highlighter on the lower line of your eye, just over the inner corners, and again blend it towards the center.
- To accentuate the effect, use a highlighter right under the arches of your eyebrows.
- The next step is to use an eye shadow on the outer edges and then blend it inwards toward the center. This is the main color of your eye shadow.
- Now apply a contouring, darker shade at lower edges of your eyes and then blend inwards.
- Use a blending brush to merge all the prominent lines of eye make-up, but don’t just mix them up indiscriminately.
- For smokey eyes, you can apply a black eye shadow at the outer corners and then blend it inwards.
- For the finishing effect, apply kohl on your water-line.
- To make your eyes look wider, you can also apply a white eye-liner on the water-line and then line it with kohl underneath.
- Also remember that day and night eye shadow are different. Use a matte type of eye shadow in daytime and a shimmering one at night.
- Don’t forget to make your eyelashes fuller by using mascara and a lash-curler.
- Always remember the general rule that outer corners should have a darker shade and the inner corners should have the lighter shade.
Important tip: If you don’t want your eyes to have too bold a cosmetic application and still want them to make a statement, then here is an alternative. Take a colored pencil eyeliner and apply it on the lash line. You can also apply this liner under your water-line. At last, apply a generous amount of non-smudging kohl on your water-line. You are good to go with those playful eyes.
What about lipsticks?
Well, in this article, I am not including anything about lipsticks. My advice is that with the right shade and a little bit of patience while applying, you can never go wrong.
Beauty mistakes you should avoid
- Apply only as much foundation as looks natural. Do not cover your face with those cakey layers.
- Do not apply a lip-liner that is too much darker than the color of your lipstick.
- Do not apply bronzer on your whole face. Bronzer is actually for a tanned look. So apply only on cheekbones, forehead and nose bridge. You can also use it on the chin.
- Avoid using a very dark shade of blush or you’ll end being a clown for the party. Just go with the color that suits your skin.
- The most important tip is to highlight only one feature at a time. Do not combine any of these: smokey eyes, heavy blush and bold lips.
- Do not pluck your eyebrows very thin. Also, do not keep them very thick and define them with pure black color. Instead, you can use dark brown shades to fill the gaps in your eyebrows.
- Do not simultaneously line your top and bottom lash line with thick liquid liner. This will make your eyes look smaller and unnatural. Keep one line thick and the other one thin, according to your choice.
- Apply mascara very patiently and do not let it clump your eyelashes. The right way to apply mascara is from bottom to top, not moving back and forth. If it happens, then take a clean mascara wand and move through the eyelashes.
- Do not use dirty brushes to apply make-up. Clean them periodically, so that they do not spoil your make-up and also do not damage your skin.
- Do not use a very old make-up product that has passed its expiry date.
I hope this article will help you not only to apply liquid foundation in the best way, but also to do a graceful make-up job over-all. Use these tips and step out of the house like a star!